Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Cats?
Are poinsettias poisonous to cats? Poinsettias are known the world over as the Christmas flower. You will see them everywhere this time of year and they are so beautiful and bring such festive Décor to our homes. The downside to these beautiful plants is that they are in fact poisonous to our pets.
Poinsettias contain a milky white sap this is the part that is actually toxic to our cats. There’s a lot of debate about how toxic poinsettias are but I like to err on the side of caution and even the slightest bit of toxicity and I want to make sure that my pets are protected. There are several safe houseplants that would make great alternatives to poinsettias
Should your pet ingest or get into and tear apart a poinsettia there are several things to watch for as far as indications to poisoning;
- licking lips
- skin rashes or irritation
- eye irritation
What to do:
If you feel your pet has been exposed to a toxin your best course of action is to contact your veterinarian or the nearest emergency vet.
Can I still have these plants?
Poinsettias may be toxic to our pets but with the right precautions you may be able to keep them in your home depending on you are pets and their propensity for trouble.
Here are a few things you can do:
- keep the Poinsettia up high where your cat or dog does not have access to
- use the poinsettias to decorate your front porch or back porch or balcony
- purchase a fake poinsettia all the beauty of real one with no upkeep
When deciding whether or not to have a poinsettia in your home this holiday season please err on the side of caution if for any reason you feel your pet is going to do whatever is in their power to access this plant, best to make sure they have no access at all and use a fake plant or have your poinsettias outside to decorate your home.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season!